Thursday, July 21, 2011

My Inner Hipppie






I'm listening to public radio while putting up garden vegetables and it just isn't cutting it. Throwing open the cabinet doors of the CD collection I perused the artists: I flip past Steely Dan, Allman Brothers, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan...Janis it is.....now I was back into the 70's....walking through a field in Lincolnville, Maine behind the only church in town. We, my future husband and I, were picking and eating raspberries while looking for herbs to make tea. At the time I was living in an old farmhouse a mile or two from the Atlantic Ocean. Life was easy, simple and free. I imagine I was wearing a long skirt, kerchief on my head, my favorite green canvas L.L.Bean backpack on my back, and most likely barefoot. We had a passion for simplicity and the organic.














Joplin in the mint


As Janis was wailing out her songs from my favorite album, Pearl, I'm sauteing summer squash, steaming swiss chard and green beans, and making chicken broth. All of which will go into the freezer so we can enjoy the garden all year round. I'm happy and content with my 1970's revival going on in my kitchen until I remember that I dropped off my 20 something daughter at the airport yesterday on a flight to the Rocky Mountains to hike and camp only to discover on the ride there that she has yet to buy a ticket home. I can't find my colander among the dirty dishes and realize it has been left in the garden.





All of a sudden I have a clarifying moment as I head to the freezer...when I next talk with my wanderlust daughter I'll let her know that the last chance call for fresh cooked swiss chard with fig balsamic vinegar is very soon. So come back east young woman. Then I pick up the phone and dial my mom.




1 comment:

  1. Liz, we have your daughter and we are keeping her, even if it means we need to put swiss chard in the garden! Remember we have Rachel and we have the mountains !!!

    ReplyDelete